Thursday, November 22, 2012

A day to be tHanKfuL!!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  

Besides celebrating a quality that I feel is quintessential to one's quality of life ~ gratitude; it is also a holiday that most everyone celebrates.  I love this because for the weeks leading up to the big day I can wholeheartedly wish everyone a "Happy Thanksgiving'.  This is not true with many of the other big holidays.   And I enjoy spreading the concept of gratefulness especially during this growing frenzy of materialism, aka black friday, but that is for another post.  

the dress of plenty - westwood, ma

So on this day, we all take a moment to be grateful and take note of all the ways in which we are blessed.  To celebrate this day I took to the woods ~ to delight in the wonders of nature.  And today, in the Boston area, Mother Nature put on her Sunday best for the day.  The weather was exquisite and I was blessed to have the time to amble through some beautiful woodlands.  

I also made a dress!!!

In the area that I settled after my walk, the ground was covered with acorn tops.  These precious caps immediately caught my attention and as I pondered them in my hands I was amazed at their intricate pattern.  I was also taken by their similarity to a breast, nipple and all.  And soon I found myself gathering dozens and constructing a dress right there in the warmth of the brilliant Thanksgiving sun.  

note the beautiful patterns on these caps
Add caption

When the dress was finally finished it was composed of piles of these little treasures, and taking in consideration of the day of its creation, I called it the dress of plenty. 

Everyday I try to life with the intention of thankfulness; to be aware and present to all the gifts that life offers me, even if they are at times cloaked in sadness or strife. 

This thought makes me think of Rumi's poem, The Guest House, with which I will close this post.  
Wishing all a wonderful day of gratitude & peace ~

THE GUEST HOUSE
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
    translation by Coleman Barks





No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~