Tuesday, December 27, 2011

follow up to the late night rant . . .

as some of you know i was quite anxious about my submissions to the juried Fountain Street Fine Art's PAPER exhibit (click here to see the blog post about these anxieties)  I spoke mostly about the painting/drawing that I submitted, being a new direction for me, and which stirred some serious critics in my head.  

Yesterday I received an email with a list of the accepted pieces/artists for the show and I am happy to announce that my name was on the list!!! But my drawing/painting piece wasn't.   
The piece that did get in is one of my favorite mini dresses, Take a Number!!! 

take a number

take a number (back)
I especially love this dress because it contains the contradictory element usually found in my larger dress sculptures. The dress is bright and colorful, yet it has an underlying message. As a mother, wife, cook, soccer mom and working artist I have felt so drained and exhausted by all the demands asked of me, and I am not unique in this feeling.  When I made this dress I was feeling particularly taxed.  

thank u 4 waiting




 I chose to use the deli tickets as I did for the dress, Thank u 4 Waiting, but for this piece I used the tickets to suggest the idea of many people needing many things from this one woman. I used red and pinks thread to sew swirling lines onto the paper mache top.   I left the ends of the sewn threads hanging to give the sense of loose ends or feeling drained or frayed.  


  So that is the story behind this piece, which will be part of this exciting exhibit at Fountain Street Fine Art.  Below is the list of all the accepted artists and their pieces along with some other information about the jurying and the dates of the show.  And what about the drawing/painting?!?! well it will head back to the studio to be judged another day.


peace


James Welu selected 47 pieces by 41 artists from the more than 190 pieces submitted by 85 artists, 
The following pieces were accepted:

First NameLast nameTitle
AnnBarbatoFrau Finnegan
LisaBarthelsonf-sorted family debris series
MegBlackStorm Coming
SuzanneBoothEscape
ArleneChaplinWandering Away
BrendaCirioniRock Nest
CherylClintonSummer Shadows I
JaneCoderHydrangeas
PatriciaCrottyRed, White, and Black 10
LynneDamianosPakm Leaf I
BobEvansVisual Eyes, Water Street, Boston
Nan HassFeldmanThe Rooster in the Kitchen
VirginiaFitzgeraldTake a Number
AmyFurmanString Things
MilisaGalazziWaggle Dance 5 Diptych
SteveGatterColumbia Farm Afternoon
AniaGilmore&
BobHesseFleurs du Mal
WilsonHunt Jr.Wild Thing
J.B.JonesBlue Clip
LindaKimerlingSquare #1
David A.LangWing Walker
RandyLeSageFigure I/Figure II
MadeleineLordHello From Queens
Hello From Boston
Stephen G.MakaWinter Stone Wall
From Series "Medusa"
Row Boats
GingerMcEachernThe Shoe Box
All the Colors
RobertMeszarosTrunk 1002
KarenNunleyIndian Summer
JeanetteO'ConnorInitiation
JoanOnofreyAn American Lobster
RoyPerkinsonDaybreak, Columbia River
RobinReynoldsNovember Glow II
KarenRothmanPapier-mâché mask models posing for still life
MahalaSacraDominicana in Pieces
DaleSavitUntitled
Joyce UttingSchutterA Cut Beneath
Twining Flask
SuzanneStumpfEgg Shell Nest
SusanSwinandLunar Force
Falling Moon
AmyWaltchRust Lillies
TimothyWilsonPortrait of Packing Paper
CynthiaWinikaFirecracker


The show will run from 
Friday, January 13, 2012 through Sunday, February 5, 2012.
the opening reception, which will be held on 
Saturday, January 21, from 5:00 – 7:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~