Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy Earth Day!

Yesterday was Earth Day! a day to reconsider how we use our natural resources and to celebrate Mother Earth.


In honor of this day I took my girls out into the wildness, to commune with nature! and by their initial reactions you would have thought I had told them we were going to the dentist - they were not happy. But I grab my camera and drove to the pond by Wellesley College and soon everyone was enjoying themselves.

I also made a dress ~ drawn on a concrete/slate structure we found in the woods.  It appeared as people have used this place for bonfires ~ so it was flush with drawing material: charcoal.  Harriet and I went to town and Maya documented the event.


With charcoal in hand and a clean 'slate' in front of me - I was moved to draw a dress with  an anatomical heart with veins or roots reaching out?!?! The anatomy of the heart is an image that I am very attached to lately and felt appropriate for the day ~ our earth is the beating heart of our existence, something that we must care for and tender to.

Hope you were able to get out to enjoy Mother Nature yesterday and/or maybe decided to compose or bought organic or local produce for dinner.   Here is a small sampling of our Earth Day Celebration.

Photographer: Maya
Photographer: Maya
Photographer: Maya
Photographer: Virginia
Photographer: Maya
Photographer: Harriet
Photographer: Virginia
Photographer: Harriet
Photographer: Harriet (and she photoshopped it)

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~