Thursday, March 10, 2011

artist's talk, participatory dress project & awesome show...

Last Sunday was the opening reception for the show at Fountain Street Fine Art, Framingham, MA. I am part of a two person show with Lisa Barthelson, who is exhibiting her family debris series: a print installation. The way that the work compliments each other is incredible ~ both inspired by unique and often discarded material.
For the show, I exhibited three dress sculptures, one for the first time, as well as presented my first of a series (I hope) of a 'viewer~participation' dress : the carbon footprint dress. For this dress, i taped a piece of printing paper on to the floor and then with painter's tape I constructed a dress 'stencil'. During the opening, and for the duration of the show, I am encouraging people to walk on the dress. By walking on the dress with their shoes that have residual dirt from the day, the exposed paper will get blackened and when i remove the tape there will be a dress!!
I mentioned that i hope this is one of a series because I would love to have these at all of my gallery shows and see how the different locations and timing/seasons change how the dress turns out. I also hope to construct a carbon footprint dress when I am at the Vermont Studio Center. Wonder what that dress would look like after being trodden on by shoes coming in from Vermont country side in March!?!?

The opening was great fun and the carbon footprint dress has a good start. But there is still lot of room for more footprints. So come on by and add your print and see this wonderful show!!

Also this Saturday, March 12th, at 2:30 PM Lisa and I are going to have a gallery talk, come "hear the artists have a conversation about their process, materials and vision .... It's bound to be fascinating ~ and fun! " as the gallery website says!!! hope to see you there!!
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~