Sunday, May 31, 2009

'Emily's coming out party

The Dress of Etiquette (aka Emily) had her coming out party last night at the Danforth Museum. It was an elegant evening with champagne and chocolates. On Wednesday there will be the opening reception for the shows ~ I've put the information below ~ hope you all can come.

For those who might have missed the earlier post about Emily ~ this sculpture is exclusively made out of an Emily Post book that i received as a wedding present. Emily Post's Book of Etiquette was also a book of reference that I grew up with. To me it represents the world of appearances and 'ought to's , 'should's & 'obligated to's ~ a world with which I don't agree. So I put the book to good use ~ ripping it apart and creating this dress. It was quite a fascinating experience to rip a book ~ I hold books to an almost sacred standing, and to rip this one was distressing and yet cathartic at the same time. I was hoping that creating this dress would be therapeutic, however it seems to have stirred up more emotions then it seemed to settle. oh well....

I was excited to see the dress again ~ I finished it the day I submitted it to be juried and hadn't seen it since. The museum lite the piece beautifully, she looks stunning. It was fun to watch people read the dress & I enjoyed talking to people about all the different subjects that Emily Post covers. All in all it was a fine coming out party! And Wednesday eve should be fun!! If you can, come by because the shows are lovely ~ there is a wonderful collection of art, lots of mixed media, photography, printmaking,.... it was a feast for the eyes!! peace


Annual Members’ Juried Exhibition ~ Opening Reception ~Wednesday, June 3, 2009, 6 - 8 pm.
Danforth Museum ~ 123 Union Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702 - 508.620.0050
(click here for directions)
Join artists, family and friends in celebrating art and the creation of art in one of New England’s most exciting and fastest growing cultural organizations. This reception is free and open to the public.

1 comment:

  1. She's a beauty, and I can't think of a better use for an etiquette book!!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~