Thursday, October 27, 2011

what a month!!!!


Upon reflection , I must say that this has been quite an exciting and full month ~ 

‘insatiable’ won an award at the show Form and Fantasy, at Mystic Arts Center in Mystic, CT; I am the artist of the month at the Attleboro Arts Museum; I have a dress at the BCM (as my daughter calls it); I hosted a terrific open studios where I successfully introduced my new dress~cards (which I just dropped off at the new Artisans Way Fine Arts and Craft Gallery, Concord, MA)  & now there is a wonderful interview of ME, on the web!!! 

Lynette Haggard, artist and blogger, has this fantastic blog where she posts her interviews with artists from all over and currently you can read about my career as an artist ~ inspirations, beginnings, projects and many other interesting facts.  Here is a little peek and here is the link to the entire interview.  http://lynettehaggard.blogspot.com/2011/10/virginia-fitzgerald-natick-mass.html
I must confess it was a great experience to do this interview, her questions made me really think about the hows and why of my work.  

Also this Saturday I am going to experience another side of Lynette, as a teacher, because I am going to take her Encaustic Workshop at the Fountain Street Fine Art Gallery, Framingham, MA ( can't wait to add another technique to my repertoire!! And then I will be back at  Fountain Street Fine Art  on Sunday to gallery sit during their new show, Beyond the Surface: biological explorations in wax. This is a group show of encaustic work, stop by to say hi.  Another arty event that runs the entire weekend is the Grand Opening Celebration Events at Artisans Way, Concord, MAOctober 28th: Opening Reception: (4pm-8pm), October 29th: Artist talks and demonstrations (10am-6pm), October 30th: Cake Cutting & Raffle Drawing (12pm-5pm) 

So ~ Thank you Lynette for this awesome experience and hopefully I will see some of you at one of these arty events!!! Peace!!!
  

Virginia Fitzgerald: Natick, Mass.

Virginia Fitzgerald and  Lush
2009
57 x 24 x 24"
sculpture: fabric remnants, discarded clothing,
scrap wood, chicken wire, copper spool,
buttons, beads, embroidery floss;
100% found and discarded material used in the piece 


Please share a little about yourself. Where did you grow up and what were the early influences on your work?

I was born in 1964 and grew up in Chicago, IL. When I was 11, we moved to a suburb of Chicago.  I was fortunate because my grandmother loved to take me to the 
Art Institute of Chicago so I was exposed to magnificent art at a young age. I remember studying the Impressionists, having their bright colors and mark making pointed out to me.  I have vivid memories of standing mystified in front of Seurat’sSunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, and wanting to dive into Georgia O’Keeffe’s Sky Above Clouds IV; this 8ft x 24ft painting of endless clouds.  Lastly I remember searching out the plaster sculptures of George Segal.  As I got older I became a huge fan of Henri Matisse and the Fauves.  And in the past years I have become a contemporary art junkie, making many pilgrimages to NYC to see cutting edge shows in Chelsea galleries.  I have also lived in numerous cities with wonderful museums, L.A.; New York and now Boston.  I presently live in Natick, Massachusetts, with my two daughters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~