Wednesday, May 21, 2008

freshly mown grass


Yesterday I was back working in nature again and loving it. In between appointments and errands I sat down the grass to soak up the warm spring sun. As I looked around I saw clumps of recent mowed grass. I started to gather them and decided to make a dress. As I worked a part of a Martha Graham’s quote ran through my head speaking of an idea or inspiration… “ It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.” (see full quote in Thursday, January 17, 2008 entry) She is speaking about not judging your creative impulses, your creativity. To listening to your muse and not judge – give your ideas life and let them go. This is a very important concept for me since I have a very vocal critic!! So with Martha’s words giving me license to be inspired without judging I gathered the clumps of cut grass and built my dress.
The exciting part of making a dress for me is the discoveries that I make while in the midst of creating…. this is what makes it so addicting!!! With this dress the grass was drying in the sun and I wanted the top a darker green than the bottom. I realized that if I opened up the layers of the clumps that the grass was moist and green inside. So then I had many different greens to work with. Also it is always fun to find the different materials to make the accents of the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~