Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Black Widow is heading for the windy city


Black Widow got accepted into the national Women's Caucus for Art's exhibition 'From the Center' to be shown at Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, IL. I am so excited ~ besides getting into this nationally juried show, the juror was Lucy Lippard!! Lucy Lippard is an internationally known writer, activist, and curator from the United States and she was an early champion of feminist art, and among the first writers to books on contemporary art. I have read many of her writings and I am so honored that she selected one of my pieces!!! Black Widow was one of only 45 pieces selected to be shown at Woman Made Gallery from over the 450 pieces submitted; there will be an addition 30 pieces to be featured in the online gallery and in the catalog. If you go to the online gallery you can read Lucy Lippard's entire juror's statement ~ but I wanted to highlight part of her statement here because it addresses DRESSES ......
"Another thread, so to speak, was the number of pieces on clothing, specifically dresses. How many of us wear dresses on a regular basis? Not me, for sure. Yet these dresses seem to represent fantasies. They are for little girls and sexy sirens, representing our childhoods (happy and unhappy) and the dreams of glamour and success that remain intertwined in the female image, often seen through a lens of irony or disillusion." ~Lucy Lippard
I am honored that one of my dresses will be represented in this exhibit! Now all I need to do i figure out how to ship Black Widow to Chicago (with no packing peanuts)....any suggestions????
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~