Sunday, December 27, 2009

the Art of the Doll

On Christmas eve I had an early present when I went to the Newton Free Library to view Georgette Benisky's show, " The Art of the Doll". The show runs through Dec. 30th (I know it is short notice but if you can get there it is worth it!!) I found the show magical and inspiring ~ full of color and beautiful fabrics. Her dolls have a wonderful presence that took me in. One of my favorite pieces is Blanc ~ it made me stop and exhale, such a welcomed experience during the crazy holiday season!! As an artist i was very taken by the different materials and processes. I felt quite a kinship with the work - the wrapped arms of some of the dolls were similar to the tentacles on Medusa. And I was just plain moved by the fabrics and embrodiery. It was inspiring because I have been playing around with more ideas that revolve around fabric!! I so loved making Lush and really want to m
ake more fabric pieces!!! So the timing couldnot have been better.
So if you are in the neighborhood of the Newton Free Library (330 Homer Street, Newton Center) take the time to stop in and see the show - it is really a treat!!!
thanks & peace ~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I enjoyed visiting her website. I love her dolls.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~