Monday, September 13, 2010

what makes a portrait???

this is the question that I found myself asking last week when I submitted some pieces, which could be thought of as unconventional portraits, to the Portrait Show at LynnArts, Inc. Happily I can say the piece, Spirited, was accepted, but this situation got me thinking & in fact explaining myself which I am not one to do usually. here is a section from my email which I sent once a little bird told me that
my submissions created some questioning looks....
"For me both these pieces are self portraits, however not in the traditional sense. Most all of my dresses are self portraits. The dress image represents a vessel containing the spiritual, emotional and physical essence of being female, and even more they correspond to elements or facets of my personality and life experience. I felt that ‘Spirited’ was a more direct interpretation of a self portrait ~ the figure is similar to my own and the words found on the dress are some of my characteristics. The photo might be considered a little more of a stretch, yet I believe that the bud personifies strength, potential, vibrancy & beauty, while the droplet suggests clarity and 'fertile'ness. Also they both embody the essence of an Anais Nin quote which speaks to the current place that I am in my life journey. This quote is “There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

So it will be fun to see the show and see the juror's interpretation of a portrait.
Here are the specifics for the show ~
LynnArts' Inc ~
Lynn’s Central Square at 25 Exchange Street.
Opening Reception: Saturday, September 25, 2-4 pm
the show runs ~ September 16-October 29
Juror: Joseph Wardwell
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for visiting my blog and for taking the time to comment ~ it is always a gift to get feedback!! so thx and peace ~